Re: PuTTY testing (shaping)

--- Omar Abo-Namous <merlin12345 at gmx dot de> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:25:37 -0800 (PST), Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > --- Omar Abo-Namous <merlin12345 at gmx dot de> wrote:
> >
> >> again my question: What is this arabic in putty for? There are no
> >> commands you could pass on to a server in arabic, are there??
> >
> > In short, it is needed if you are stuck on windows and want to
> > connect to a linux box and write/read/modify some Arabic content.
>
> So that is: IN FILES, not on the shell/prompt whatever you call it??

Its a step-process.

 + For now we need to just get the displaying of files
   (cat/more/less, etc) to work.
 + Later we'll need to add Bidi.
 + Later we'll need to make sure that vim/emacs/etc work without issue.
 + Later we'll need to address the harakat issue.
 + Later we'll need to look at the command-line (there isn't much there
   you can do anyways beyond potentially wanting to "grep" for an Arabic
   string and/or list "ls" a specific Arabic regexp or similar).

As noted, let's get the basics going first and then worry about the
more complex issues later.  Once the shaping is all taken care of
and Bidi is added, we'll resurface the issues noted above.