Re: Arabeyes Fonts in RPM

On Yaum al-Jumma 21 Jumaada al-Awal 1425 11:27 pm, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 21:12, Sherif Abdelgawad wrote:
> > I agree with ElZubeir. For Fedora there is already "fonts-arabic"
> > RPM which has the KCAST fonts. I belive we should submite Arabeyes
> > fonts to be included as well, maybe "arabic-fonts" should have
> > both.  I updated the bugzilla to see if Owen can review arabeyes
> > fonts so it can be included in the package.
>
> Not unless you want arabic-fonts to be a meta-package which includes
> both packages. However, since both are their own packages and both are
> released separately it would be a maintenance nightmare to do both in
> one rpm package. I suggest arabic-fonts package is renamed to ttf-kacst
> and the Arabeyes font to ttf-arabeyes (or however RH/Fedora likes to
> call ttf font packages). I'm not sure if RH/Fedora have the concept of
> meta packages, but if they do, it would be nice to then have an
> 'arabic-fonts' meta package.

Well, your suggestion of package separation is logic and I loved it but keep
in mind something is better than nothing, I will send the mandrake list to
ask if they will allow two or three arabic font packages in their distro main
CD's. If they don't deny it I will make the separation. Otherwise, Mandrake
already have a fonts-ttf-arabic that contains KACST and Urdu Nastaliq in
_one_ package. I just updated it and

- Added Arabeyes GPL Fonts
- Added farsifonts version 0.4 GPL fonts (covering Arabic and Farsi)

Regarding the names I prefer a one that goes a long distros naming scheme.
Mandrake uses fonts-ttf-language where as debian uses xfonts-... and not sure
about Fedora. So, may be it's better to go with distro's naming scheme rather
than a unified one.

For Mandrake I suggest
fonts-arabic-kacst
fonts-arabic-arabeyes
fonts-arabic-farsi
fonts-arabic-nastaliq
I am not sure if the farsi people can take this nastaliq in their package and
update it with their fonts. Its development seems to be stopped.

My problem with Mandrake is that my club membership is going to vanish in the
comming day which will stop my ability to vote for software inclusion :(

Another important topic is making these rpms relocatable so one SRPMS will be
enough to Mandrake, RedHat, SuSE, ...

Sherif, I don't have access to Fedora nowadays, would you please test my srpms
in fedora or tell me whether there is any problem in expanding it to
/usr/share/fonts/ttf/arabic/? This is not to say that one of us will package
for both. Still I will package for Mandrake and you for Fedora but from a
single source.

Note: Oops my internet connection has expired so I will to tomorrow to send it
inshallah :(

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA