Re: a software library for multilingualisation

On Yaum al-Jumma 04 Rajab 1425 12:14, TAKAHASHI Naoto wrote:
> Dear Arabeyes developers,

> The font used there is Riwaj.ttf.  I do not read Arabic, but it looks
> farely beautiful.  However, the font fails to position vowel signs
> correctly.  Look at this.
>
>   http://www.m17n.org/ntakahas/tmpdir/poem.png

Will you please point what's wrong. I believe it's acceptable though not
perfect.

> I have investigated all the opentype fonts available from the Arabeyes
> web site. Unfortunately, none of them had appropriate GPOS features.
> So I imagine that vowels signs have little importance to native
> speakers.

No, they are very important to native speakers but few of them seek
perfectness. If it's a font issue no problem but make sure it's not your lib
fault.

> Anyway, we will be very glad if you make use of our library to develop
> Arabised application programs for Unix/Linux systems.

I am sorry I am not a developer _yet_ but is interested in becoming so soon so
will you please point out what the problem that this lib solves. What's its
scope (Do I need it if I am going to use Qt or GTK)? Who will need it? What
are the other alternatives and why this one?

Also, when I tested from the Demo on the website it seems as if it doesn't
conform to Unicode BIDI. If I type Arabic then English, it doesn't behave as
should be, at least AFAIk.

Keep up the good work.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA