Re: BiCon 0.0.20040401 problems

On Saturday 10 April 2004 07:23 am, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Do you mean with Arabic (translated) man?  Or the English one
> doesn't work?

The English one.

> > 1. It shows only in half of the screen
> > 2. Enter doens't work. It should scroll one line down.
>
> Same question as above.

Again the English one

> > 3. the phrase "line 1-27" comes in the middle of the screen with text
> > below it 4. vim display INSERT also half the way on screen
> > 5. cat'ing any arabic filename will work with shaping but upon typing
> > Arabic if I pressed BACKSPACE to delete a letter and type again, it will
> > appear in the wrong position

> Well, that's kind of a thing that is not going to be fixed in
> BiCon any soon :(.  Right now BiCon is only a very thin layer
> doing bidi on the *stream* coming to terminal.   Some of the
> things you wrote can be supported, but some other ones simply
> cannot, at least without application support.  Of course an
> approach like what they are doing in PuTTY will solve many of
> these problems, but will create its own problems.

Let's see what can be fixed.

> BiCon better be used for simple cmd-line stuff that does not do
> escape-sequence tricks.  Well, it's there as a final resort.  If
> you really need to be able to read Arabic on console, use it...

Escape-sequence tricks? Do you mean pressing BACKSPACE to delete a text when
typing in console is an escape-sequence trick?

> > I turned to console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), loged in, bicon
> > I tried Left alt+shift  and tried to type the letter "e" I got a strange
> > question mark. alt+shift again or anything i tried won't allow me to type
> > "e". Hence, I couldn't type "exit" to exit and stuck there. Once stucked,
> > I tried vim from console, typing "e" gave me the euro sign. Now, I can't
> > type ":" to exit. It doesn't work. Ctrl+z got me out of vim. I tried
> > Alt+F7 to return to GUI but no use. Sequential Ctrl+D's loged me out and
> > now Alt+F7 back to GUI. Sigh! I decided not to return to that frightening
> > blackhole until it's fixed.
>
> This one's really weird.  You only entered "bicon"?  What was
> your $LANG?  Better I turn off keymap setting for console too.
> You can ask for keymap explicitly by saying "bicon ir" or

I tried to call it bicon ar and the same problems exist. Swiching my $LANG to
ar, en, ar_SA, ar_SA.UTF-8 gives the same problems also.

> something like that.  BTW, wait a couple of days and I will make
> another release and please test again.

Surely.

> > I am using Mandrake 10
>
> Well, never used Mandrake.  But it may be that they do their own
> tricks on console.

I think I forgot to tell you that I can't even see arabic letters from console
(Ctrl+Alt+F1) though I can via gnome-terminal.

--

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distro/mdkarabicsupport.html
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA