Re: Upcoming QaMoose work

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 20:35, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
>  1. Keep all of QaMoose's functionality as is (ie. local mysql, etc).
>     This is used primarily for people entering new words which they
>     deem to be part of the vocabulary (ie. suggesting will still be there).
>  2. Public queries (ie. not admin approve/reject) will access the DICT
>     server automatically.  Admin approve/reject will, of course, probe
>     the local mysql entries.
>  3. Add a means to take approved entries from the local mysql and either,
>     a. Create a supplementary dictionary out of them for local use only
>        which would require hand insertion into the golden wordlist
>     b. Automate the process described in step-a via possibly either a
>        cron job and/or user prompt via the web form.
>     c. Look into a native DICT method to do this (will require more
>        research into DICF and/or engaging with DICT folk about protocol
>        enhancement to create an 'augment' method)
>
> Initially I will shooting for 3a (so as not to delay any further) and will
> work on 2.x which will include other options.  This is no rocket science,
> I just wanted to be clear and verbose.
>
> I will post again on this topic once I have a test fixture in place.
>
> Comments ?

Yes sir. With dictd running, as far as I am concerned my Qamoos is healthy.
There is a need, however, to modify/add new entries which is a minor task
compared to answering queries from dictd. Right now, I kbable a golden file
and add/modify few things then cvs my changes. I think a web interface to
do this task (modify/add) is better than cvs very minor changes based on dictd
log. My wish list is as follows with all due respect to what you intend to do:

1) Web interface to take an English word and spit out Arabic one. (Wordlist
will make it through the top of the list within Google).
2) Parse dictd log (i.e most asked for word, word not found, etc) as opposed
to current log.
3) It would be nice if I can search for a word (as admin) and modify the
Arabic translation over the web without the need to cvs my changes.

In a nutshell, both dictd & mysql based dictionaries running on arabeyes
server. Dictd for the public (kdict & gdict) & mysql based for the public
web queries and admin work and find a way to synchronise mysql changes
onto dictd. There you go.

Regards,

PS - I heard back from Horst of Freedict.de. He mailed me a jumbo file
to be tested (1.2MB). We say file ok and he publish the work. I am attaching
the file in a private e-mail to you.
--
Ahmad Al-rasheedan (http://webhost.fasttelco.com/asr)