Re: Quran data (translations)

--- Kareem Darwish <kareem glue.umd.edu> wrote:
> Among the better ones are the Yousif Ali and Pickthall translations.
> There problem is that the English is a little, shall we say, OLD.  Older
> translations can get you into trouble because the word usage of English
> has changed dramatically over the past 100 years.  Another good one is
> the one by Shakir.  The English is generally not too difficult and is
> seemingly fairly accurate most of the time.  You can find these
> translations at the following URL:
>   http://www.quran.org/quran/quran4/index.htm
> and they should be free of copyright.

Agreed, I think simply by surfing all the online site that becomes more
apparent (Y.Ali, M.Pickthall, M.Shakir are _very_ common).  Our questions
pertain more to the odd links one finds here and there for Urdu, French,
Spanish, Dutch, Turkish, Japanese and even Chinese.  I have _no_ idea how
to verify those, but it certainly seemed like a plausible idea that an
institution that looks at these things with "da'awa" in mind would care
and even drive this.

Your comments are most welcome and thanks Kareem for your insight.  So as
far as English goes, we are OK - what to do with all the others out there ?