Re: Quran data (translations)

AA,
Let me through my 2 cents worth on the question of which English translation to use. As the islamonline article indicates, there are serious problems with most of the available translations with the worst offenders being the one by Rashad Khalifa and the one by Mohsen Khan (which is the unfortunetly the one being Saudi Arabia). Among the better ones are the Yousif Ali and Pickthall translations. There problem is that the English is a little, shall we say, OLD. Older translations can get you into trouble because the word usage of English has changed dramatically over the past 100 years. Another good one is the one by Shakir. The English is generally not too difficult and is seemingly fairly accurate most of the time. You can find these translations at the following URL:
http://www.quran.org/quran/quran4/index.htm
and they should be free of copyright.
There is another middle of the road translation is the one by Muhammad Farouqi. The translator uses simple English, but as the author stresses it is translation of the meaning (actually all translations are actually approximate translations of the meaning). It is easy to understand, but it attempts to interperate the verses (usually sticking with one of the tafseers for an ayah and happily ignoring all the other tafseers). You can find a link to it at:
http://www.al-quraan.org/
To the best of my knowledge the translation is copyrighted.
I have to struggle with all these issues because I am in the process of recording the translation of the meaning of the verses of the Qur'an. Please visit:
www.QuranNow.com
What I ended up doing is simplifying Picktal and checking it against Yousif Ali, Shaker, Muhammed Farouqi, and yes tafseer Ibn Katheer. I can send you guys samples if you want, but I only have very small portions of the Qur'an finished at this point in time.
Kareem

Nadim Shaikli wrote:

Salam.  I'm not sure this is a 'developer' question, but since this
topic was posted on in this forum before I thought I'd continue here
(not sure that 'general' would have been any more appropriate either).

I had posted a question to ask about which translations we could and
should use within the Quran project and received a rather vague answer,

http://www.islam-online.net/fatwaapplication/english/fatwatoken.asp

and then enter 'KTR4MR' as the Reference Number.

I will be contacting "King Fahd Holy Quran Complex" (via the email
noted) as they also seem to have translations on their site as well.

http://www.qurancomplex.org

It would really be best if a couple of other people contacted other
accredited associations and groups (Al-Azhar, etc) with regards to
this topic as it seems vital to the project (right, M.Yousif ? :-)

Any takers ??

Comments/Suggestions/Thoughts...