Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: emacs-bidi - funtional/ready, now what ?

> Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:26:43 +0900 (JST)
> From: TAKAHASHI Naoto <ntakahas at m17n dot org>
>
> > Any further details ?  Are there competing algorithms out there
> > that are deemed "acceptable" ?
>
> Eli Zaretskii, one of the most important Emacs developers, is writing
> such a code.  I heard he has done to some extent and his code is
> expected to be included in the main trunk once finished.

Unfortunately, a series of personal disasters (well, that's an
exaggeration, actually) and daytime job committments have all but
stopped my work on this during the last year.

> Developers feel that the current emacs-bidi is not efficient enough.

Right.

> We need to find an efficient way to integrate a bidi reordering
> routine into Emacs' display engine.  I do not know well about Emacs'
> display routine so I cannot explain more.  Sorry.

Some explanation of the proposed better solution can be found in the
discussion whose pointer was posted here by Handa-san, and in the
archives of the emacs-bidi list.  Feel free to ask questions if
something there is unclear.

> > Has RMS or the emacs developers given a clear statement on what it
> > is that they'd like to see or not (URL) ?  Is there a means for us
> > to elevate Bidi's inclusion on their list of things to do ?
>
> I do not think any URL is available for now.  If someone writes a
> summary, I can put it one the emacs-bidi web page.

I wrote such summaries a few times in the past, see the archives.

> Don't worry.  The core developers are aware of the necessity of bidi.
> All we need is a programmer who
>   1. knows Emacs' display engine, and
>   2. is familiar with bidi concepts, and
>   3. has time to write a code.

Indeed.

P.S.  Btw, I didn't see the original messages from Nadim Shaikli, and
neither did I see the message from Alex to which you replied in
another mail.  These messages are also not in the emacs-bidi archives.
Does someone know what happened with them?  Did they bounce off the
list or something?