Re: Bayani status

Aîd Moubarak to all,
 Youcef,
  I'd like to congratulate you about the "terrific"
work you have been doing. Sorry for not participating
more these last days but i have problems with my
distro (slackware linux) to support arabic langUage.

After many long hours of installing, reading and
googling, the result is almost rubbish ! (i manage to
get mltem working nevertheless).
So i have a simple question to all of you :
*Which* distro do you recommend for a full support of
arabic ?

Maybe this question has been already answered but i
acknowledge that i am to lazy to search the complete
mailing-list archives. However google gives no anwsers
(^_^).

I also compiled bayani on my linux but arabic fonts
are not displayed, though i installed all the fonts as
explained in www.arabeyes.org/howto/arabic-howto.en.
Actually, instead of characters, i get empy
rectangles.
Is it a hopeless case to have beautiful arabic letters
on my slackware linux ?

I have one small remark about the french translation:
bayani is distributed in arabic, english and french.
If we look at things from french-speaking user's side,
i think we would not understand why the parser does
not support french language.

But as you said, maybe it is not the priority right
now. When we see all the work made and the result
obtained, the real thing to do is to publicize bayani.
I know that in one of your emails you have already
thought about that. I think we should focus on that
task. I am not an expert in adervertising techniques
but maybe the first thing to do is to contact
universities, schools, teachers, etc. What do you
think ?
It also means that some tutorials must be made to help
people with using Bayani.

As to your question about implementing a chadda and
arakat sensitive script language, i would suggest to
let users write arabic words without taking into
account that aspect. But actually, I am wondering if
this "add-on" to bayani  is not an attempt to make the
FIRST SYMBOLIC COMPUTATION SYSTEM IN ARABIC like
maple, mathematica, magma (my favourie one),...!!

Personnally I intensively use latex and I need to
import  gaphics mainly in eps format (it is just a
matter of taste). Bayani proposes only one type of
format file, the png format. I knwow that there are
tools that convert from png to anything else, but what
about integrating directly other file formats in
Bayani ?

Ayoub.

http://perso.club-internet.fr/youcef.rahal/bayani/screenshots/bayani-Feb-11-2003.png