Re: Prayertime autotools (again)

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 16:29:10 +0300
Thamer Mahmoud <neokuwait at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> AS for the amount of files, frankly, I prefer editing a small
> Makefile.am and generating/deleting *all* these files with a couple of
> commands than actually struggling with a large Makefile.in trying to
> emulate the same functionality of automake (e.g. make check, make
> dist. etc..). Also, I personally find the process of manually creating
> makefiles to be a tedious and a very dull process.

We are not manually creating Makefiles, autoconf is generating them
based on our Makefile.in.

> Of course this still up for debate. There are two paths to choose
> from:
>
> 1- I revert the changes to the old working code and we continue
>    updating the Makefile.in as necessary. As the library grows and
>    changes, Makefile.in editing might become more and more a time
>    wasting and a boring task for everyone.

I vote for one. After a merge with hijri and other ITL components we
will not be building upon the same build framework, we will write one
streamlined for this collaboration of projects. Since we are looking at
small individual projects though, it is probable that a bunch of
Makefile targets to the current build framework will be more than
enough.

automake is a crufty interface, trust me :)

> 2- Fix the current automake portability issues and then we'll end up
>    with a much simpler approach, less human written code to edit and
>    a file smaller and easier to maintain in the future to suit the
>    library's design.

In the future, things will be revealed. Read above.
If you wish to switch to automake, check out the LIBRARY_LDFLAGS
variable. Don't forget to take dynamic libraries into
consideration...(.so)

> Because I'm new to Linux programming, I'm quite flexible (but this may
> change soon ;), and since you, Samy, are willing to maintain the build
> process of this library then of course whatever you decide will be
> fine with me.

The day you change to automake needlessly, is the day I stop
maintaining. Can I commit some changes to deal with time.h properly
Thamer (as well as other potential clean-up)? This won't modify any of
the build framework.

--
| Samy Al Bahra | samy at kerneled dot com |