Re: autotools & prayertime

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 08:14:16PM -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> The reason I do not like these more 'features' and options is
> that we all like package management options that are unified so
> that when you download a tarball or checkout from cvs, you do not
> need to read README, README.cvs, or the Makefiles in order to
> findout what is what.  BTW, I have never seen projects cleaning
> all those files.  Usually people put many of them in CVS itself.
> But seems ArabEyes CVS is organized the other way.  I should look
> around more next time (I work on fribidi).

That is why a project maintainer can simply provide a shell script to
bootstrap a project.. but for sanity, a Makefile.cvs should be present
to instill some form of uniformity among Arabeyes projects.

As for projects that don't clean up their mess and those that put files
in cvs that don't belong there.. well, that shouldn't stop us from being
organized ;) I really see very little point in placing autogenerated
files in CVS. It should be rather intuitive not to.

P.S. It's 'Arabeyes' (not ArabEyes) -- the emphasis is in Arabize not
Eyes ;)

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |