Re: autotools & prayertime

--- Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at bamdad dot org> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > I'm on a SUN machine using solaris, so I'm not sure if this is a
> > portability issue or what, but here is a minimal description.
> >
> >   $ make -f Makefile.cvs
> >   set -x
> >   aclocal
> >   aclocal: configure.in: 9: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
> >   make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> Do you have libtool installed??  Do "locate libtool.m4".  Put
> libtool.m4 somewhere accessable.

I do; Samy has been kind enough to look more closely at the files and
has something that is a great deal more stream-lined - an email has been
sent to get Thamer OK to commit it.

> Forcing a configure is Gnome's habbit.  I don't like that.
> Moreover, using Makefile.cvs is KDE's habbit.  I don't like that
> too. ;-).  As simple bootstrap.sh or autogen.sh does the job.

Well a Makefile.cvs gives you more flexibility to add more 'features'
and options - like 'make -f Makefile.cvs reallyClean' :-)

> >  2. Add a 'clean' option to the Makefile.cvs so that it goes back to the
> >     pristine condition things were in before running 'make -f
> Makefile.cvs'.
>
> When you have your Makefile out of configure, you can do
> make maintainer-clean.

That doesn't clean everything, but its a start.  No worries, we'll add
our own directives and cleaners :-)

> >  3. All projects that incorporate autotools (and all are going in that
> >     direction), then the projects should put all its source files in
> >     a ./src directory and the documentations in ./doc, etc.
>
> Are you talking politically, ideally, ..? ;)

Never politically :-)  I think the dir would look cleaner and make more
sense if files were put in more appropriate places.  I think ./src, ./lib
and ./doc are standard.

> > Using -- autoconf-2.57, automake-1.7.9, libtool-1.5
> >
> > BTW: on linux I have no issues; the above 3 points would be nice to see.
> >      I also don't see 'fribidi' for instance using "libtoolize", is our
> >      process over-complicated compared to their 'bootstrap' ?
>
> libtoolize is something like autoscan.  It should be run just
> once at the very beginning.

Sounds like I have lots to read and follow-up on.

Thanks & Salam.