Quran - fonts

At 7:32 am +0100 9/4/03, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
>   Mr. Allawi, could we do the following - could we discuss in greater
>   detail Diwan's proposal to unicode to see if we have further questions
>   and suggestions and then "gang-up" on unicode to make the changes ?

I have put this in a previous reply - Diwan has a very good picture of what is needed and I do not need much more help with this until I can put in the time/effort into publishing a paper on this.

>   In return, Diwan releases their fonts (as it is today and as it will
>   get altered post unicode adoption).  The value of your application
>   is not in the fonts and as such Diwan retains the lion's heart of
>   any product proceeds (it would be nice to Open-Source your products
>   as well, but I think that conversation is a non-starter :-)

Firstly Diwan puts a great deal of effort in its fonts and it has converted its best fonts for use with the Quran and I cannot expect to make any of these open-source as these are commercial fonts which publishers are still buying. Secondly, the font is only part of the whole task. Just having a good looking font does not get you much closer to your goal.

Adil