Re: Encoding the Holy Koran into Unicode

"Adil Allawi" <adil at diwan dot com>
--- Mete Kural <metekural yahoo com> wrote:

[snip]

>                                     What I really
> wanted to say was that since Unicode is missing a
> couple of codepoints to make it possible to encode the
> whole Quran properly in Unicode, these
> companies/organizations also use their own proprietary
> codepoints, although they use Unicode codepoints
> whenever possible. And this is done in a non-standard
> way. It would be great if we could gather a group of
> companies/organizations/individuals who are committed
> to making the necessary additions to Unicode and
> finally make this process standardized so that font
> manufacturers do not need to "tweak" Unicode in their
> own way in order to encode the Quran.
>
> There are also several other cases where there is a
> bit of non-standard activity. Sometimes it looks like
> there is more than one codepoint in Unicode that you
> can encode a letter with in the Quran.

[snip]

> We can come together to push these standards into
> Unicode Arabic by influencing the Unicode Consortium
> to make the necessary additions to Unicode.

Mete, I suggest you follow-up and insist on seeing (and possibly
contributing) to Diwan's proposal - at a minimum you should be
satisfied that their proposal addresses all the various
short-comings and anomalies you've seen and experienced.