Re: Useful info for The Quran Project

--- Mete Kural <metekural yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]

> this project would have two parts:
> 1) Developing the font(s) according to a set of proper
>    encoding rules
> 2) Encoding the Quran text based on the encoding rules
>    that were specified in step 1

I'm guessing that you will still use UTF-8 for the majority
of the text except for instances in which unicode does not
specify a proper glyph (ex. the "peace be upon him" in Arabic
glyph), etc.  Is that what is being noted ?  If not, could
you please give some clear examples ?  I'm hoping that such
an effort could also benefit by generating another set of
beautiful Arabic fonts (ie. it would be great if we could
create this font and have the necessary required glyphs for
unicode (including Form-B)) since what is being proposed is
a super-set of that being used in most Arabic linux/unix
applications.

To further explain,

  Unicode requires                       ISO-8859-6 + Form-B
  What the Quran project might use is    ISO-8859-6 + Form-B + other

Correct ?  I'm not sure what "other" entails and if its even "standard"
(it would certainly be nice if it were and if its not, we can and should
approach unicode with it (I know there was a recent post on this list
possibly in this regard, no ?)).

> I would like to ask who would be interested in
> contributing to such a project. If you have interest
> please email me. You don't need to make a commitment
> or anything, just pure interest in this kind of a
> project.

I am very interested, but I am already spread thin (too many things
on my plate).  But I most certainly think this is a great idea given
all the details are worked out.  Do please pursue it !!