Re: al quraan

--- Mohammad DAMT <md mt web id> wrote:
> Assalaamu álaikum

Wa-Alykoom Al-Salam.

> Hi, I´m from Indonesia and would like to join alquraan project,
> but instead of making a KDE app, I´m going to make a GNOME applet
> which will show random verses, and if user wants to read an entire
> quran, then he/she will open the application from the applet properties.

Sounds great.  I would highly suggest that both the current Qt3 based
application (KDE centrist) and Gnome application you are suggesting
should look and behave as similarly as possible to give this noble
project a similar flavor.  Mr. Yousif, knowing how curious and capable
you are :-), would you be interested in making this application dependent
on _either_ Qt3 or Gtk -- in other words, would you be interested in
assisting Mr. Damt with possibly GTKing the project ?

> With this email also I would like to ask for permission to use the XML
> data. Currently I have an ISO-8859-6 arabic text and Indonesian
> translations of the quran in MySQL for my quran project in
> http://quran.mdamt.net (web based). If you permit me to use the XML,
> then I will convert the XML data to MySQL and replace the ISO arabic
> with the UTF-8 text.

I can't envision you not getting the permission (but we'll have to hear
from Mr. Yousif); I highly suggest integrating both works instead of
forking into 2 different implementations (maybe the diversion should
happen once the current implementation is augmented with Gtk as an
option -- for an even broader audience).  In short, Mr. Damt I highly
recommend you take your Indonesian translation and add it to arabeyes'
repository.  As for the arabic text, we already have a UTF-8 encoded
text file (which could be checked against as a triple-checker).

BTW: here's the project homepage (just in case),

       http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Quran