Re: iterm version 0.3

--- Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:

> So this is what IBM is talking about when they mention xterm.
> Of special interest is 'PLS' (as opposed to fribidi). As far
> as the documentation implies, it supports bidi+shaping.
>
> Will probe Jiro for more info.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Jiro SEKIBA <jir(at)jp.ibm.com> -----
>
> From: Jiro SEKIBA <jir(at)jp.ibm.com>
> Subject: [li18nux] ANNOUNCEMENT: iterm version 0.3
> To: li18nux(at)li18nux.org
>

>  Hi all, this is an announcement of iterm version 0.3.
>
> ---------------8<---------------RELNOTES---------------8<---------------
>              Internationalized Terminal Emulator Framework
>                     Jiro SEKIBA <jir(at)yamato.ibm.com>
>
> * PREFACE
>
>  This is the public release of Internationalized Terminal Emulator
> Framework(iterm) version 0.3. You can download tar.gz package from
> the URL below
>
>    http://www-124.ibm.com/linux/patches/?patch_id=478
>
>  or obtain latest codes from CVS Repository as below..
>
>    cvs -d:pserver:anonymous(at)cvs.li18nux.org:/cvsroot login
>    cvs -d:pserver:anonymous(at)cvs.li18nux.org:/cvsroot co iterm
>
>  The distribution consist of 4 parts, such are
>
>  - lib
>     libiterm, the terminal emulator library.
>  - unix/fbiterm
>     terminal emulator for framebuffer, which uses libiterm.
>  - unix/Xaw/lib
>     libXiterm, the terminal emulator widget library.
>  - unix/Xaw/src
>     terminal emulator for X, which uses above widget and libiterm.

Great - after my recent rant on IBM's comments, I was really worried
about what they were talking about.  This clarifies things just
slightly (its odd how no one outside the openi18n.org circles
(formerly li18nux) seems to know anything about this topic or any
of IBM's work).

In any regard, iterm (for those looking to get the info by reading
1 or 2 lines -- like I usually like to do :-) is supposed to be an
xterm that is supposed to support Arabic (and many other languages)
akin to mlterm.  Its very important for __all__ of us to download
this package and start testing it and making any modification that
are needed to get proper support.  Once we are satisfied with its
functionality we should in earnest lobby for its inclusion into all
distributions and/or convince xfree86 to replace their antiquated
xterm.

Mr. Elzubeir, heeding my own advice I downloaded the package and
after much wrangling with the compilation (we certainly should try
to simplifying the many-many-many configure and compile stages that
are needed) 'xiterm' core dumps for me.  Oh and another thing; when
I tried to compile the "fbiterm" library (step-4 I think) I got the
following message during configuration,

  checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.7
  *** The fbiterm program is currently not available for this platform.

Which I'm not sure if that is a fatal issue or not (it would have
been nice if that was noted).  In any regard, I'm not sure where issues
like this are reported and whether there are mailing-lists (and archives)
that address xiterm matters.

Comments anyone ?