Re: Akka patch

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Phactorial - wrote:
>
> > Farsi ... the BSD license is not something that I take
> > favorably for large projects...
>
> As far as I'm the maintainer of farsi package, it will be
> released under GPL or LGPL...
>
> BTW, we really don't know what's the future of this piece of
> code.  The current usage is just being my hobby for late-night
> hackings.

With the license not being an issue :-)  There are a couple
of topics here for discussion - it would be best to start two
separate email threads,

 + The "farsi" code (the package needs a better name) could lay
   the groundwork for what could follow Akka.  How to bring that
   forth ?  What issues remain ?

 + The "farsi" code (the package needs a better name) was looked
   into as a starting point for adding shaping/joining to fribidi
   (well, it was created as a stand-alone library to tackle and
   bring forth "conformance" of shaping/joining to the unicode folk,
   not sure where that's gotten).  There were issues that were being
   investigated and some proposals were forth coming.  What's the
   status of that work ?  How can we best proceed to make that a
   reality (ie. cooperate on a solution -- either inclusion or a
   library) ?

   Do please read these posts, they will get the juices flowing :-)

   http://www.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2002/August/msg00087.html
   http://www.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2002/August/msg00102.html
   http://www.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2002/October/msg00049.html

Behdad/Roozbeh, please reply in such a manner as to address the two
points outlined above separately (two different email threads) so that
both of these topics get their share of much needed attention since
the "farsi" package (it needs a bett... wait, I think I've said
that before - name :-) is the center piece of discussion here.

> Some weird thing I'm working on these days, is to create a kernel
> module out of Farsi !!!  This also requires to create a module for
> fribidi too.

Wow - that would be great.  We're a few steps behind, but you guys
are certainly headed in the right direction.  Is there a URL for
all of this exceptional work which one can track or learn from ?