Re: emacs-bidi workaround package (2002-07-25)

 --- Anas Nashif <nashif planux com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 18:05, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
>
> > > Any idea why i am getting squares instead of fonts! :-(
> > > I did load the fonts and followed the instruction on the web page, but
> > > with no luck...
> >
> > Make sure that the font file you are using has Arabic glyphs within it :-)
>
> Well, I am using the fonts available from
> 	http://www.m17n.org/emacs-bidi/index.html
> and they have arabic as far as I know.
>
> > There's nothing abnormal to the instructions noted on the m17n - worst
> > come to worst read the vim README file and note special attention to the
> > discussion and points related to the 'xset' command.  Also make sure you
> > are in the dir with the fonts.dir file before you do the
> > " xset +fp `pwd` " otherwise use the full dir pathname in lieu
> > of the "pwd".
>
> And the fonts are loaded (checked with xlsfonts)
>
> The question is, are these fonts being used by default when you switch
> to arabic in emacs or do I have to enable them somehow!!
> I use Emacs on a daily basis but never bothered to explore the hidden
> world of it, so I might be missing something here...

OK...  Not sure if this is your problem, but you can try one of the
following 3 things,

 1. Specify the default font emacs should use in your .emacs file.  In the
    .emacs file include the following line (replace the actual font name
    with whatever fits your needs),

  (set-default-font "-misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso10646-1")

 -or-

 2. Include the following line in your .Xdefaults file and then run the
    following command 'xrdb ~/.Xdefaults' from a shell

  emacs*font: -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso10646-1

 -or-

 3. Find out how to include your own font listing in the CTRL-Right-Click
    mouse (C-M3) and invoke it that way.  If you find out how to do this,
    let me know :-)

Hope that helps.

BTW: Still expecting to see you all Monday (July 29) at the Arabeyes'
     Evolution Party -- visit Arabeyes' main page (www.arabeyes.org)
     for further details.  ok, enough plugs :-)

Salam all.