Re: [emacs-bidi] Emacs for Arabic

--- TAKAHASHI Naoto wrote:
> Nadim Shaikli writes:
>
> > 1. I'm attaching a very simple patch against what's currently hanging
> >    of the FTP site that makes some minor modifications and corrects
> >    a couple of encodings - do please apply it.
>
> Thank you very much for your patch.
> I accept the three modifications of the key mapping
> (backquote -> THAL, J -> TATWEEL, semicolon -> KAF).
> Those were my mistakes.  Sorry.
>
> I also second changing the title string from "AW" to DAD.
>
> However, what is the point of changing the package name from
> "arabic-arabwin" to "arabic" ?  A leim package usually has a
> hyphen-connected name consisting of the language name and the
> method name, especially when multiple packages are provided for
> one language.

That keymap is the de facto standard and as such I looked at some
of the other packages that are included in leim/quail and saw
that a number of them that offer 2+ keymaps offer the standard
one as a single name and so I opted to do the same; plus it will
lessen the number of confused people.  In passing the other
keymap included (based on sounds) is really not used by anyone and
should not be encouraged (except for I guess ArabTex users).  Arabeyes
has been very adamant on settling on one keyboard and pushing it forth
as a standard, we've had some good successes so far and we'd very much
like to stay away from the various mutations out there (at last count
there were 5 variations; the transliterated one that is currently
offered in your package would bring that count to 6 :-)  Sorry for
being long-winded; simply trying to shed light on yet another headache
we've had to live with and circumvent.

If you are still unconvinced maybe "arabic-win" would be clearer.  I'd
still vote and encourage just "arabic" (that's what 99% of users will
use and would expect to see).

Regards,