Re: help, new akka release coming - 0.1a

Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> Any reason why GNU autoconf's "configure" is not used (there might be a
> learning curve associated, but it will pay off in the long run regarding
> bundling future packages).

Duh...
The reasons are simple:)
1) I hate autotools
2) Perl is much more flexible than m4 when it comes to writing extensions
and tuning to your project
3) I am less likely to have to relearn Perl everytime I start a new project
than relearn m4 which I used to use once every few months
4) autotools are little adapted to fast changing projects in terms of
source files/tree structure and configuration
5) chonfigure's makefile sources are a lot more natural, concise to write,
and chonfigure will guess and automatize many things autotools don't.
6) goto 1.

> While I'm at -- RPM's would be nice too (you'd certainly double/triple
> your user/tester base :-)

1b) rpm (and deb) are good for binary distros imho. we're not there yet
though we will very soon.
2b) I have to learn how to build rpms and clean debs, and automatize the
process. Will be done after condition 1b is met:)