Re: XFree86 and xkb

 --- Karim Elaagouby <karim at elaagouby dot net> wrote: >
> A Salam,
>
> "ar" is taken, ok.
> How representing Arabic with something more unique
> like "aa" which stands for the "real" first letter
> "ain" in the word Al Arabia!
> And instead of a flag we could use an icon that simply
> has
> the "ain"  in it. The arabic calligraphy is beautiful,
> and we should it show it off.
>
> Just a suggestion.
>
> Karim

Nice one Karim, the Arabic Language BTW is called lagha al Daad like in
shadows. I have seen some Tux logo with it somewhere I can not remmber, any
way I do like your suggestion, Good one Karim

> --- Jihad Daoud <jihdao-6 at sm dot luth dot se> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > (I am new to the list and the lazy me have not been
> > reading the archived back log, tell me when I
> > mention stuff you been through already!)
> >
> > Was looking around for more stuff about the subject.
> > Using setxkbmap you can select the keyboard mapping
> > you want to use.
> > I use "setxkbmap se" for Swedish, it's language
> > based and not country based. In our case it should
> > be ar (AR, ar_AR or even Arabic if you want).
> > setxkbmap will first look in
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst to find out
> > if there is a rule for the keyboard language
> > mapping.
> > Then it will go to
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86 to check out
> > which keyboard you have.
> > Then it expects a file in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols, in
> > case of Swedish it's "se".
> >
> > So far nothing mentioned about countries and "ar"
> > does not exist, no conflict is there with Argentina!
> >
> > We start fixing XF86 and then move on to the fancy
> > stuff.
> > KDE and GNOME use ar.png for Argentinan flag! It's a
> > lot of fun to add all the Arabic country flags and
> > submit them to KDE and GNOME people but I think that
> > we need the AR.png (or what ever, but not ar.png) to
> > represent Arabic and not a specific country, hey we
> > might become one country again someday!
> >
> > In summary: XF86 xkb is language based. ar for
> > Arabic. Need to be added.
> >   KDE and GNOME kbd selector are country based! We
> > might consider making an exception for Arabs and
> > assume that they belong to one country and let the
> > Arab League's flag goes there (if so, come up with
> > the two letter abbreviation that will do and is not
> > occupied by any country, Arab nation maybe (an) or
> > Arab league (al, but I bet that Albania got this
> > one!).
> >
> > It's new year eve and can't start testing (actually
> > have to wait for two week or so) to see how
> > xkbsel_gnome_applet, the keyboard selector, would
> > behave (using GNOME as I said before!)
> >
> > Have fun tonight.
> > --
> > Jihad Daoud

> =====
> Karim Elaagouby

=====

walid at melinux dot com
http://www.MeLinux.com

"Learn whatever knowledge you wish to acquire, and act upon what you have learned."