Re: VIM-6 - rightleft redisplay

On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:40:03 -0500
 "David Harrison Jr." <david at motionrealityinc dot com> wrote:

> Nadim Shaikli wrote:
>
> >Well, I would suggest downloading our work-in-progress code,
> >
> >   http://www.arabeyes.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/arabeyes/vim
> >-or-
> >   http://www.arabeyes.org/~nadim/vim/vim-shaping.tar.gz
> >

> Ok.  I've used it awhile now.  Lots of screen refresh problems when
> you are in an ISO-8859-x type of setup.

Actually seems like the refresh is there irrespective of which mode or
setting you are in (ie. screen_line seems to redisplay with each new
character even in "default" english).

> The Arabic input is interesting.  I press 'q','w' which show a slightly
> different set of characters than typing 'q', ' ', 'w'.  I press CTRL-L
> and the "combined" 'q''w' sequence is indeed drawn differently.
>
> Hmmm,  I'll take a closer look...

I've solved most of the known problems, shaping is pretty functional
in the various different settings (including CTRL-L).  As of now, there
are no known issues regarding shaping stand-alone (note - "as of now" :-)

Here's what's left (as I see it) regarding Arabic Shaping and support:

 1. Get Bram's blessings/comments :-)
 2. Fix the screen_line (in screen.c) to redisplay characters from
    right-to-left in rightleft mode.
 3. Add 'search' (ie. /) abilities in rightleft mode
    a. Add rightleft-type of directionality in command-line
    b. Add Arabic shaping to the command-line
    c. Search non-shaped characters (ie. 'off_from')
 4. Add Bidi abilities

Please note that the links noted above (in previous post) have been
updated and I highly recommend and encourage re-syncing.

Thanks for your help and interest.