Re: Arabic distro

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 03:05:17 +0100
 "Haydar" <haydar at haydar dot net> wrote:

> I had discussed some of these issues before with my team members and
> partners, and here is the first reaction for every point in your e-mail
> today:
>

> Nadim Shaikli wrote:
>
> >Haydar, sorry for the late reply (since this is a new area for us and is
> >very important and will have future connotations, we are having lots of
> >internal discussion regarding this - by no means does it take us a long
> >time to make decisions though :-)
> >
> >As noted after some internal discussion we have the following to note
> >(no major issues/surprises, just making sure everything is obvious).
> >
> > 1. Please read the revised/attached "views" file
> >

> I have.
>
> > 2. A couple of REALLY obvious things (simply to make sure they were stated)
> >    a. All your and our code will be used by others (free/open) - there is
> >       NO exclusivity by either party
> >

> The installer "BURAQ" will not "and it is not possible to" be open
> source until version 2 of Haydar Linux but it will always be free, this
> is one of my partners conditions.
>
> >    b. Arabeyes' aims and goals are non-commercial and as such we (as well
> >       as you) have the right to partner with whomever we wish to further
> >       our cause without the need to get permission
> >

> Haydar Linux is a project of "Haydar Net", and Haydar Net have the right
> to partner/invested with anyone we want.
> This also means that you will have all rights in anything you create to
> partner/invested with anybody you want. and this include projects of
> other parties, because these parties will have all there copyright to them.
>
> > 3. The way we envision the directory structure on CVS is as follows
> >
> >      projects/distro/haydarlinux/
> >
> >    All files/packages that are specific to the distribution will reside
> >    under that dir except in the few cases where projects (like xterm)
> >    could be used outside of the distro and could be viewed as their own
> >    projects - in those cases the "self-standing" project will be in
> >
> >      projects/NAME     (ie. it will be outside of distro/haydar path)
> >
> >    Similar to Akka/QaMoose, etc
>
> This is OK.
>
> > 4. The "HaydarLinux" project will have its own page on arabeyes, akin to
> >
> >      http://www.arabeyes.org/projects/haydarlinux.php
> >
> >    which will abide and have the same format as all the other projects
> >    on Arabeyes.  This is important to maintain consistency on all the
> >    project pages hosted by Arabeyes.
> >

> As i mention before, Haydar Linux is a Haydar Net project and it has
> it's own page, you can link to it and/or mention that you are helping
> Haydar Net in it's project but not making it your own project and i
> don't think you mean to take somebody's work and have it in your name.

We never intended (nor will we ever) claim anyone's work to be ours if its
not.  You might have misunderstood the intention of the page - its a place
to inform others of what's going on and is a means to recruit anyone who is
interested in helping or might have similar interests.  We'd like to have a
distro.php similar to vim.php that is currently on Arabeyes since we've come
across a number of other people how would be interested in helping and
contributing.  The page will be a means to inform the public of what is
happening from Arabeyes' prospective regarding any distro work that is taking
place and will serve as a history log, as an information center and will
certainly contain links to your haydarlinux.com page :-)

> > 5. The project list that you mailed was very extensive and is somewhat
> >    long-termed at best.  At this current time we have interest in the
> >    following sub-projects you listed,
> >
> >    a. Xterm
> >       i. Mail Program (pine/mutt)
> >    b. WindowManager   (mainstream (windowmaker/E/fvwm/- not homegrown))
> >    c. Emacs           (note that a Japanese guy might fill this)
> >    d. OpenOffice
> >    e. hijri
> >

> I did not say that you should do all of it, i have said that you can
> help, and what you have chosen is very good.
>
> > 6. The other projects listed seemed to fall under the "translation"
> >    umbrella (ie. translate the interface, etc).  All "translation"
> >    projects are very VERY low priority to us, and on those projects
> >    WE (Arabeyes) will set the priorities on.
> >
> >    In other words, only we will post to 'doc' noting what is priority
> >    for the translators will tackle next (this by no means, excludes you
> >    or others from soliciting help on the list and else-where, but you
> >    may not set Arabeyes' priorities and dictate what those volunteers
> >    will translate next).  The reason behind this seemingly militant
> >    rule is simply - we are trying to help the GENERAL Arab linux/unix
> >    community in large and so having limited focus does NOT serve that
> >    purpose.  For instance KDE/Gnome is certainly more important
> >    compared to "login/setup-configuration" setting on HaydarLinux
> >    and as such we'd like to maintain that clear distinction.
> >

> You have all the right in this.

OK, everything sounds like its in order.  We should get down to actual
work then :-)  please contact Mohammed Elzubeir to setup the CVS import
of your files to Arabeyes, as well as issue the needed accounts, etc.

Regards,