Re: VIM Arabic Patch and Hindi number

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 05:07:49PM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> Keep in mind that "our" preference is one thing and what is considered to

This has nothing to do with 'our' preference. Who are we to say that one half
of the Arab world is right and the other is not? We should only do what is
'right'. The 'right' thing is to use OUR OWN numbers, the ones OUR grand-
grand-grand fathers invented and created.. not some inferior number system.

> I'm of the opinion that these "hindi" numbers ought to be the default which
> people can opt not to use - similar in how people have opted and adopted
> western month names (convenience doesn't constitute language default though).

No, not convenience, but a reminder that these are OUR numerals, and that
half of the Arab world is already using. Why would a Tunisian/Moroccan/Algeerian/etc
have to use inferior hindi numerals? For 'convenience'?

> To have Arabic programs default to "non-hindi" (those you see on you english

It is not non-hindi, it is ARABIC numerals. How can we participate in killing
our own numerals?

> keyboard now) doesn't seem right, for that would mean that one has to trigger
> yet another option to enable what is legally considered to the norm (by our
> grandparents and grandchildren alike).

I didn't mean for this to be a flame, but I have made my opinion known from
before. If this were something that is 100% dropped by all the ARab countries,
I would have said.. yeah, that is my personal feeling. But, that is not
the case.. there is a divide, agreed. In the whole Arab world, there is a
divide on this. I am simply saying that we should go with what is rightfully
our own numerals. That to me, seems like a very logical solution. Opting to
choose one side of the Arab world over the other, just because one comes from
one side of the other is not logical.

In any regard, that is not the most important issue at the table.

later