Re: task/program manager

On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 19:40:53 +0100
 "Chahine M. Hamila" <mch at chaham dot com> wrote:

> Please check the combo dcl+phpgroupware which does a lot more than
> epiware and is quite trivial to install and is GPL! I used them before!
>
> Please, save your coding abilities for other stuff we are redoing what
> other people have already done before.
>
> http://www.phpgroupware.org/
> http://dcl.sourceforge.net/

dcl does not apeal to me.  phpgroupware looks really slick (note demo's)
and thus a couple of questions.

phpgroupware comes with like 15 things - we only need 2 of them (the
third - users database - they don't seem to have).

So here are my questions,

1. if we opted to use phpgroupware can we VERY easily just use their
   tasks/calendar feature and completely not even load the other stuff ?
   If the answer is "its GPL and we can do whatever we want" or "I pretty
   sure we can hack it", then I'd suggest forgetting it (too much fiddling
   with it is not worth the effort).

2. if we opt to do our thing - should we account for their API into
   our work (any strong feelings ? I'd say no (added complication)).

The reason I keep talking about "edara" is because of,

a. we'll get some external awareness upon release (public-relations)
b. the idea is to get more developers to do this for us (not for 'core'
   to do this - unless there is complete desperation).  Why ?  This would
   get a few people's feet wet and get involved with us and its not a
   very complicated project that would result in a higher confidence
   feeling from those working on it.
c. the result would be very useful for us 'core' people now and in the
   future and it would be easy to add things that might be needed to
   make our efforts easier (as well as to customize it exactly to what
   we need).