Re: xfree86 plea

> Don't get me wrong, I'm simply stating that we must pursue this (inclusion
> of Arabic into fonts at all costs) and not settle for library solutions
> which might not encompass everyone.  I want to see "Salam Alykoom" when I
> login into Solaris for instance (heb is there), why are we left out of
> that ??  Same reasoning in my mind.  I would be willing to code whatever
> is necessary to make this a reality - so I implore you on making a quick
> stance and making the incomplete decision.

I agree with you Nadim.. but having Arabic native support in XFree86 means,
more than just including Arabic glyphs in XFree86 fonts .. you will not see
the "Salam Alykoom" in Solaris because there is no shaping/rendering engine
:-) to tell you the truth .. after seeing how fribidi did help adding BIDI
support to various applications in console .. I am thinking that having the
Shaping library that include the XFree86 font with Arabic glyphs, and an
Arabic shaping engine that works with any X app. such as Emacs, VIM, PINE, or
what ever is even more essential . after all as the XFree people said, XFree
got some design probelms because it was invented some 20 years ago before
even Unicode or Arabic-in-computers was thought of ..

I am not as technically deep in this issue is you all may be .. but maybe me
simple thoughts in this would be a better idea .. after all I don't like that
we have to go through shaping ( the same process) in VIM, Emacs, and any X
app..

Just a thought..
--
Yours,