Re: Our own project/task manager ?

--- Isam Bayazidi <bayazidi at accessme dot com> wrote:
> OK .. let me tell you about my School project which is almost done ..
>
>  - Two levels, students, and instructors
>  - Every Class has it's own page that contain these sections:
>    + ClassNotes : Instructor add them, each note is marked with it's date,
>      instructor can modify or remove them, students view them.
>    + Announcements .. Added my Instructors, Notifications sent to the
>      students' emails about them. viewed by students in the site
>    + Assignments: instructor sets the assignments, with a deadline ..
>      students reply to the assignments from the site, the replies are
>      sent the instructor's email ..
>    + Resources section
>    + History ( previous exams) for the material
>    + Live chat ( Java Applet)
>    + Several Forums ( Bulletin Boards) each with different property, some
>      for private conversation between students and instructor, other for >
  public talk, and another one for anonymous discussion ( not anonymous
>      to inst. but to other students)
>  - a header.inc and footer.inc is included in every servlet output, to
>    unify the look ..
>  - A signin, and SignUp, and user preferences management ..
>
> mmm.. we are doing it in Java Servlet Technology .. the DB is hadled in a
> separate layer .. so convertion won't be hard ..

[snip snip]

> There is some missing parts:
> 	- Task management
> 	- Calender
>
> but as I imagine it it won't be hard ..  what do you think ?!

Isam although what you describe is interesting and useful, its a bit overkill
for what we need (something light-weight that will do the missing parts you
note above only - other things can/will be added, but we really don't need
them and the only reason to add them in the future is to cater to external
people - I'm not advocating we do anything at this point beyond what we
need and require - Task manager, users info, admin page, calendar).