Re: Moving to Subversion

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 15:45 +0400, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> Salam,
>
> Now that we are successfully running on Apache2, I would like to fully
> migrate from CVS to Subversion by the end of this week (so by Jan. 30,
> 2005).

Congratulations on both steps. Very wise decisions.

> The plan is to revamp the entire structure we have and to give each
> project its own repository. What this means is that we would no longer
> have 'projects/' and/or 'translate/', etc.
>
> This is because Subversion uses atomic commits (unlike CVS), so each
> revision is like a snapshot of the entire tree. This would look rather
> awkward if we were to maintain the same method of lumping all projects
> under one tree, etc.

Is this a requirement of subversion, or of the subversion/apache
intergration? I don't think this is really needed, but as I am using svn
in a project here without apache integration, I was wondering if that is
it.
Still, seperating projects should be a good idea anyway..

Alas, I now need to unlearn cvs..

As an aside, a good svn gui client is tortoisesvn, which we are using
here. (And there is a tortoisecvs too). If a gui tool is to be mentioned
in the cvs (svn?) howto, this is the one..

Salam,
Muhammad