Re: to plone or not to plone

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 07:45:49PM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <aalarfaj at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > I can see a definite trend here. Your trying to plonify/pythonify our
> > entire operation. Not sure why you would want to do that, its more
> > work for you and less for us ;-)

My 2 cent.
I think plone is not the right thing (TM) for a small community like us, Not because plone is bad, But because we are a small community despite our needs.

I'm not 100% with drupal "though I think it's a better solution", But I'm against anything which is only known by ONE member "which is kuru", We must IMHO be able to support what we choose by ourselves, We have more ppl with php knowledge more than we have people with python knowledge, I hate php myself, But I didn't suggest perl because we don't have much people with perl knowledge AFAIK.

So If we build on a solution written in a language which is known by only 1 member we'll be in a risk that this human being quits arabeyes, is tired/on vacation/not available/... and we need something that we want to do, But no one can do it.
Drupal offers a clean API, Maybe not all of the modules we need are available and this'll require some coding, But I think that we have much php coders, Add the fact that php is an easy language.

Even if it's not drupal because I'm the only "somehow active" member familiar with the drupal API, So we are somehow trapped but not like the 1st trap because it's still php.
But note that by using drupal you'll be throwing the work on one man's shoulders initially "I don't mind this for sure, As I'm maintaining eglug drupal and my own website drupal". but it'll be oneman, In this case I prefere implementing a solution which is written in a language known by many people though initially the specific details about the solution is known by one only!

Drupal also is translated "not entirely" into Arabic, That's a plus in my opinion.

Finally I think we should stick to any php CMS!

OK, I think That anyone reading this email'll think that I'm crazy, I don't know why I can't get my brain to concentrate on the main point and write a clean paragraph!

But I have to state my opinion.

--
-- Katoob Main Developer, Arabbix Maintainer.