Re: to plone or not to plone

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 02:55 -0800, Ossama Khayat wrote:
> Salam,
> Just to add my 2c on this.
> The priority here is to have an Arabized (multilingual?) website ASAP. So, no
> matter what solution we use, still that is the priority for now.

That is correct. Any proposed solution would definitely mean Arabic
support.

> Still, I also would rather have a PHP based solution, though I'm not an
> experienced PHP developer.
>
> [..]
>
> Finally, my suggestion is to evaluate "Drupal" since it's localy translated and
> is used already on EGLUG.org, so maybe they can provide us with their feedback.

Drupal is 'community'-oriented and not project-oriented like us. Ie. we
are closer to something like sf.net than eglug.org (although we are not
either.. but you get my point).

If people are not 'comfortable' with Plone because they don't know what
it is or _how_ it is, that's natural. However, if we were to continue
with PHP then I would be very much against adopting some ready made CMS
and would rather continue to use our own code.

As of now, I am suspending my Plone migration work (I've been doing
little bits of it every day or two).. until this is sorted out.

Frankly, this can be an endless discussion and everyone has an opinion.
This is like saying, I want the color blue to be our theme color. There
simply is no 'right' answer.

The only challenge Plone provides is that there aren't as many Python
Zope hackers as there are PHP hackers. Then again, most of the Zope
hackers know their stuff whereas you have to weave through a thousand
php hacker to find someone who knows what they are doing. Very much like
the early linux days when looking for a Windows vs. Linux admin. Hey, if
you were the kind of guy who would have installed Windows and hired a
couple admins to administer your site back then.. then, of course, go
for php.. but if you had the guts to go with what is obviously
technologically superior.. well, you know what to do.

If this were a commercial entity, I would understand such reservations..
but for an Open Source project.. really, this is a non-issue in my book.

I think I'm done with this topic. I'll just sit back and listen/read ;)

Regards,
Mohammed Elzubeir