Re: Mirroring

Salam,

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 22:43, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> Per the 'core' meeting - I would like to start a thread on how best
> to mirror Arabeyes.  We had talked about this in the past and had
> even secured some sites (sf.net and dk's sunsite) which we need to
> revamp and overhaul (and document).  I've also in the past been told
> by various people that they'd love to mirror us or host some of our
> files if we needed that.

The "problem" with mirroring our website is the database mirroring. We have a
MySQL database which is located on the sina server and which is not
accessible from the outside. I'm not really familiar with security hazards
that are related to making the DB accessible from the outside (Mohammed E.
may be familiar ?).

Anyway, mirroring means having as many databases as servers. This means we
will have to synchronize all of them (daily ?). I'm not sure there will be
much data to be synchronized, but still, it means we have to write scripts,
test them etc and I'm not sure it's really worth it: lots of work, little
outcome.

You are already thinking about "static" mirroring ? :-) Well, I think it's as
difficult to make a static mirror from the actual site (many changes in the
code are required to have it really working) and synchronization has to
happen regularly.

All in all, I think it is needed but premature.

Anyway, this is my personal view :-)

PS: Sorry for not being very active lately due to... well, personal stuff. But
as you know, I'm doing my best.

--
Youcef R. Rahal
Arabeyes.org