Re: Daily backups ?

Salam,

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 22:42, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> Per the 'core' meeting - I would like to start a thread on generating
> daily (or nightly) backups.  I believe they are currently being done
> weekly (which doesn't sit well with me).  We also need to possible
> 'scp' the backup files somewhere off-site (in case of total calamity)
> every so often (post encrypting the data since passwords and sensitive
> info will be included).

I suggest rdiff-backup (http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/) which is a python
script (!) and uses rsync. There are many advantages to prefer it to the
simple rsync.

Concerning the sensitive data, we should dress a list where these data are
located and make some script that processes these files, removes (or encrypts
?) the sensitive data before backing it up. For example the www/arabeyees.php
and all the admin scripts that use MySQL and which contain the Arabeyes MySQL
username/pass.

Youcef R. Rahal
Arabeyes.org
http://www.arabeyes.org/~rahal