Re: gettext and website

Salam Nadim,

Nadim Shaikli wrote:
Arafat, any progress on gettext and the website - we really need this
resolved sooner rather than later.

Plenty of resolution. I sent out an email a few days ago asking for the new locales to be generated. I keep hoping I'd run into one of you guys on irc so I can bug you live *hint*Anmar*hint* ;)

Another thing in passing, why do
you need any locale support for gettext anyways ?  Meaning, why does
it matter.  If I as a user click on a button that says ARABIC, the
php code should simply convey the "arabic" setting to gettext and
recall the Arabic-translated strings.

Good question and I don't know the answer. All I know is that running php with gettext on windows works as is. On linux you need the locales to be generated on the server. Maybe gettext can't create the right po/mo files unless it has the locale map to draw from. Also, I can't just say ARABIC unless I have an alias mapped to an actual locale generated on the system (e.g. ar_SA.UTF-8). I do intend to investigate further at a later date. I'm just happy I got it to work.

I'm sure it is alot more complex, but it didn't make sense to me to care which locales are on a machine esp when it relates to its web applications.

Hey, I'm with you. I spent an extremely frustrating week trying to get it to work at home and on arabeyes before I hit on the right google keyword combination.
BTW: if this is unchartered territories, did you ask any of the PHP
     sites on their comments ?

I went through all the comments in the gettext section on php.net. It took me a while to zero in on the fact that locales need to be generated. I'm a little slow like that ;)