gettext and website

Arafat, any progress on gettext and the website - we really need this
resolved sooner rather than later.  Another thing in passing, why do
you need any locale support for gettext anyways ?  Meaning, why does
it matter.  If I as a user click on a button that says ARABIC, the
php code should simply convey the "arabic" setting to gettext and
recall the Arabic-translated strings.

I'm sure it is alot more complex, but it didn't make sense to me to
care which locales are on a machine esp when it relates to its
web applications.

BTW: if this is unchartered territories, did you ask any of the PHP
     sites on their comments ?