Re: thal moved to new location

On 25/09/06, khaled hassounah <khaled at laptop dot org> wrote:
I would love to get feedback as I did some bold moves:

1. removed the lam-alef combined letters

This is a good move, Khaled. I am not sure about the rest, not before there is a good study of letter frequencies in Arabic. I know ذ will mostly come in row 5, just where you placed it, because its use is not that high.

To follow your lead, however, Arabic ~ could go next with the Roman one.

I do not dare place letters before that frequency study is done.
However, these are things I would like to see changed:

1. The period "." and comma "،" without Shift combinations, and ","
demoted and moved above one of the numerals. Its use is restricted to
numbers only
2. د moved towards the center. This key is very unreachable for us
left-handed. We are 5% of any population.

Most of the keyboard is arranged so that similar-looking letters go
next to each other. This is far from being efficient. Would you know
anyone who statistically can come up with a good statistical study of
letter frequencies in Modern Standard Arabic, Khaled? Anyone?