Re: Summarized Unicode yeh problem & modular X keyboard hack guide

Hi, Youssef Chahibi.

> It would be also good to make two other groups so that with
> AltGr  and AltGr + Shift we can type persian letters and
> extra characters like the "dagger" alif and alif al wasl.

It surely will be.
# In fact, there's no AltGr key in Japan, and I got a bit confused
# when I first read your message.
Let me remind that AltGr shifts the "level", in X terminology,
inside *one* group, not the group.

I do not know the Persian language at all, so I have no idea
good layouts would be like what ;-)
# It is surprising for me that not few Arabic speaking people, native
# or learned, also understand Persian somehow.

Let me point out also that the way you suggest is good if you
mostly stay in Arabic layout, and sparsely type "additional"
Persian symbols. However, if you type Persian quite ordinarily,
then it may be better to specify the Persian layout as the third
"group", so that the standard layout and the shifts are available.

For me, it would be something like:
$ setxkbmap -symbols "pc(pc102)+jp(latin)+ara:2+ir:3+group(alt_shift_toggle)" -option "grp_led:caps"

# By the way, I have noticed that the new Persian layout (found
# in the file 'ir') from Xorg 7.0 on, has some additional "control"
# codepoints, like direction control character or zero-width-joiner.

Good luck.
"Oibane"