Re: Tanween variants and Unicode : Question about code 0658

Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya wrote:
> My reason of choosing the 06xx block for this purpose was purely
> technical reasons. If I were to use PUA, it will change the behaviour
> of the character surrouding it, and probably will change the text
> direction. I've tried to use one of the symbol in other code blocks,
> but I end up have to do lots of workaround. Thus, the only code that
> will not change the shape and text direction is in the 06xx block.
> Mete have a different view, which I think it might be a good idea if
> it was design carefully. However, like you said, there are other ways
> of accomplishing it.

This is correct. Unicode PUA by default assumes LTR behaviour. Therefore
inserting PUA codes in an Arabic string is asking for trouble.

> Mete,
> I've not test the code point yet. Maybe you can test it first. Just
> create a few strings of possible case, including cases for lam alef.
> If the shape of the character remains correct, the there should not be
> much problem to create a font for it. If, the shape of the character
> is not correct, then we will have some implementation problem.

 U+06DF Arabic Small High Rounded Zero can occur on any alef, even when it
follows a lam, so it needs to be handled by fonts anyway.