Re: Proposal for the Basis of a Codepoint ExtensiontoUnicodefortheEncoding of the Quranic Manuscripts

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 14:55, Thomas Milo wrote:
> Abdulhaq Lynch wrote:
> > So the discussions using English linguistic terms is a closed book to
> > me (I confess). But I don't see the need for them when encoding
> > something designed to represent the Arabic concepts that I do know.
>
> Fair enough, it's the concepts that count, not the language used to express
> them. Eventually, if the results are going to enrich Unicode, they will
> have to be made presentable in English.

If the english terms are one-to-one mappings (assimilation  = idghaam etc)
then perhaps that's best in terms of an international standard, but it should
be clear that they are translations of the original terms and have no
independent meaning derived from the English itself.

wassalaam
abdulhaq