Re: Arabeyes -- a critique

--- Arafat Medini <arafato at gmail dot com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:24:27 +0300, Samy Al Bahra <samy at kerneled dot org> wrote:
[...]
> > Python? It's not just a "scripting language", it provides a lot of power
> > and functionality. Where is the argument? DragonFlyBSD? Yes,
> > http://www.DragonFlyBSD.org, read up on the technologies the project
> > will bring in. qemu? Yes, google it, the translation technologies it
> > uses are much different than what is used in the commercial world.
> >

> I know this too, sure Pythong is not "only" the common scripting
> language one would think of, still, take a look at ruby and as
> mentioned before adding some new extensions does not make a product in
> my eyes totally radically innovative or new. That's a normal process,
> imitate and add...

The following a summary of a posting made by Matz in [ruby-talk:00382] on June
4, 1999. (The birthday of Ruby is corrected in [ruby-list:15977]).

    "Well, Ruby was born on February 24 1993. I was talking with my colleague
about the possibility of an object-oriented scripting language. I knew Perl
(Perl4, not Perl5), but I didn't like it really, because it had smell of toy
language (it still has). The object-oriented scripting language seemed very
promising.

    I knew Python then. But I didn't like it, because I didn't think it was a
true object-oriented language---OO features appeared to be add-on to the
language. As a language manic and OO fan for 15 years, I really wanted a
genuine object-oriented, easy-to-use scripting language. I looked for, but
couldn't find one. "

I think we agree now that Python is before Ruby, at least..
Though I don't share Matz' opinion about Python.

> > What does this have to do with the core argument, innovation?
>
> You were asking to take a look at the evolution of Gecko (mind
> EVOLUTION & GECKO) from mosaic and netscape, and I told you the whole
> story in a nutshell...

And it was wrong, see my other e-mail.
By the way, everything builds on things before, innovation comes in creating
new solutions or solving new problems.
As an exercise, find out what's innovative in .Net, for a change.

Enjoy...

Salam,
Muhammad Alkarouri