Re: Arabeyes -- a critique

--- Arafat Medini <arafato at gmail dot com> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:10:33 +0300, Samy Al Bahra <samy at kerneled dot org> wrote:
> > ElZubeir's mentor programme is for developers, not translators.
> > Translators operate under the domain of QAC. If you're not happy with
> > core's speed in handling QAC, I suggest you push for it yourself when
> > you have more time.
>
> Still it will not solve the problems we have for it alone, sure it's
> good, I said this many times but saying THIS IS the answer is not
> right IMHO...

Care to mention the right one, sir?

> > > Yeah I saw innovation sprakling in the FOSS world, please name to me
> > > ONE and only one innovation in the FOSS world?
> >
> > In my first e-mail I had several examples, but that didn't go through.
> >
> > A majority of clustering technology, OGG, patch/diff, CVS, SVN, ARCH,
> > FreeBSD ports, FreeBSD's rcNG, Python, Perl, Ruby and other programming
> > languages, Apache, chroot, FreeBSD jail, HURD, DragonFlyBSD, systrace,
> > OpenBSD's stack-patches, several FreeBSD MAC features, UML, Linux
> > vserver model, qemu, PCAP, BPF, nmap...and I am about bored now.
>
> OGG -> MP3
> the patch/diff system was always there c'mon...
> FreeBSD ports???
> Python? a scripting language is a cripting language... Ok I'd say ruby
> is better...
> Dragonflybsd ???
> Linux ???? minix anyone?
> qemu ?????

You are really being silly now.
Most of the things that were 'already there' were FOSS or public domain. Or you
mean patches grow on trees?
Ruby is better than Python? Say. Both are open source, and th thing is that the
whole scripting language paradigm is FOSS developed. So don't tell me that PHP
is better next time.
And before saying scripting is nonsense, you'd better check your programming
experience..

> well I am bored too and I could answer on everyone of your entries...
>

> > > Firefox? see Opera
> >
> > Please read about the evolution of Mosaic to Netscape to Gecko.
>
> ??? And what does mosaic have to do with Opera? All the code was
> scarpped with Mozilla anyway... I know very well every step of the
> evolution from Mosaic to Mozilla... by the way the browser itself was
> names mosaic like the rendering engine and the toolkit, Netscape was a
> browser too if you know it..., which used mosaics rendering engine and
> then extended it to raptor which was so buggy and bloated that
> everything was scrapped and then mozilla was started an with it gecko
> that's why mozi has that nifty T-rex like logo which actually should
> be a raptor logo, Mozilla came from Godzilla that's why the mozilla
> foundation was sued last year by the japanese TOHO pictures. For
> godzilla pls google... So mozilla should be a continuation of the
> raptor engine initially... As you see I know my lessons very well...

In other words, the first browsers were open source. mosaic, worldwideweb.
Yes, Godzilla was sued by Japanese
(http://www.ipcounselors.com/19980608.htm#a1), and tried to sue all *zilla name
holders for the copyright on the name, but this has nothing to do with the
Mozilla code. Off point, 0/100 in history.

> > > Mono? well ... .net
> >
> > This is an emulator.
>
> An emulator?? An implementation please... go visit www.go-mono.net

Mono emulates .Net. It is not original, yes, and it is not a cpu emulator if
that's what you mean.

> Who's the ignorant?

Clearly, you.

> > > what else ? KDEs bloated monstrousity???
> >
> > Yes, and it's other rich features.
>

> Oh yes mmmmm KDE makes me shiver with it's file manager, browser,
> shell, egg cooker dunno whatever richness... long lives konquerer who
> crashed on my machines every 2 minutes.
>
> > > Please name ONE innovation, FOSS people are proud to copy things from
> > > the others! I'm saying this not from ignorance but after a long
> > > conversation with Miguel de Icaza.
> >
> > or ignorance. You are not speaking on facts, but an emotional whiplash.
>
> I hope you read my mails on the Lists, I'm sure you know that I am
> always emotional, and that this is not a real argument...

Better use real facts. Then you have the right to speak the way you like.

> > > Yeah I'll write the software and do it for myself and I'll be happy
> > > because me and some 10 others are using it, wonderful...
> > > NO I want an imam in the middle of nowhere in Mauritania to have a 386
> > > pc and use gedit in Arabic then I'll be REALLY proud of myself.
> >
> > If you don't want to be a developer, don't be. Become a translator. A
> > developer will be expected to have other responsibilities than a
> > translator, as they should.
>
> Well I am writing code myself, and if I wrote an app I would still
> want to have it in Mauritania to be honest... You'll not gonna tell me
> you'll be happy to have an app ready for 5 people will you ?

Excellent. Please don't innovate in your code, or don't release as open source,
so we get your point. Which do you prefer?

> > > I'm not a monkey and I'll never become one thanx.
> >
> > Monkies act with rationale and logic.
>
> Yeah I saw bonobos who were very rationale... eating each others
> children for eg.
> humans and bonos 98.5% equal DNA...

Say they do. Still, I have a feeling they are more rational than some.

> > Thank you for the flame. :)
>
> let's flame the lists... BOAAAHAHAHA...

I personally don't like to participate in flaming, but sometimes you say
ridiculous things. Please don't.

=====
> What is the frequency of the weekly Python-URL? (-;
According to the name, about 1.6 µHz.
                                     .. as mentioned in c.l.py