Re: Arabic on Zaurus/Ipaq

On Friday 25 February 2005 11:42, Abdulhaq Lynch wrote:
> This is just a heads-up to let you know that I've done a bit of work to
> enable arabic on the OpenEmbedded platform, such as OpenZaurus and Familiar
> for the Zaurus and Ipaq.
>
> screenshot here:
>
> http://kprayertime.sourceforge.net/zaurus1.png

Looks great :-)

> It's early days, the program I have initially ported is my arabic
> vocabulary program (it can also create a postscript/pdf file in a book
> format of all the words). This is using PyQt and so far I have left the
> shaping and R-to-L code in python. To get the support for tashkeel
> (required for arabic learners) I had to hack the Qt/Embedded libraries as
> OpenEmbedded uses qte 2.3.10 (v3 is too big for handhelds, perhaps Qt/E 4
> will be better).

Does that mean that Qt 2.x.x have some support for Unicode? I didn't think
it had such support.

> I have used the KacstBook font which had to be converted to a QPF font file
> format (bitmapped).
>
> Looking forward it would be nice to put the shaping/bidi code entirely into
> Qt/Embedded 2.3.10 and then to port Muhammad Yousif's qtquran.

There is a pending TODO item for this:
http://www.arabeyes.org/viewtodo.php?todoid=157

But I didn't start working on it yet.

> I'm mentioning it here to see if anyone else would have a use for arabic on
> this platform, otherwise I may leave things as they are (seeing as they do
> what I mainly want to do for now).

I'm very interested, please tell me if you need any help.

--
Mohammed Yousif
Egypt