Re: Arabic on Zaurus/Ipaq

--- Abdulhaq Lynch <al-arabeyes at alinsyria dot fsnet dot co dot uk> wrote:
> On Friday 25 February 2005 15:28, Arafat Medini wrote:
> > Nice stuff! Would you want to import this to our CVS servers? And
> > continue devon it? Someone of core, what do you think ? I think
> > importing such an interesting experiment would be really sweet!
>
> It would certainly be helpful to put it on the CVS servers and also I'd like
> to put the OpenEmbedded font package somewhere too (easily ftp-able).

If you are willing to maintain it, by all means - simply send an email to
'contact' and it will get taken care of at 'core's next meeting.  The point
that needs to be made is that we really need to make sure that anything we
import has an owner who is responsible for it (dead or fermenting projects
simply don't appeal to anyone unless they are completely done).  We have a
serious issue with keeping up with our various projects and making sure that
people upkeep 'em.

> Can anyone suggest a simple GPL arabic shaping library in C/C++ to save me
> coding up YAASL (Yet Another Arabic Shaping Library). The simpler the better
> (as long as it works). I found the postgresql one which is OK but has extra
> UTF8 decoding gubbins and has pgsql-orientated data types. I just want the
> shaping and nothing but the shaping, preferably using a 'string' datatype.
>
> I had a look at FriBidi for the bidi side and it seems to do an awful lot of
> things that I would have thought would be better left in the parent
> application - such as mapping mouse coordinates to characters, and encoding
> conversions. Is there a cut-down version that just reorders unicode
> characters? Memory space is at a very big premium for handhelds.

MiniBidi [1] is an option (it will soon ISA get shaping embedded as well).
As for a stand-alone shaping/tashkeel widget you can take a look at this
perl script [2] which was later ported to C [3].

BTW: you should most definitely get your work adopted by the upstream project
     (Qt/E).  Any patches/work/efforts we create are as good as the current
     release and to make sure that your hard work is not wasted for future
     releases it is best to get the application developers to accept your
     work (even if it is #ifdef'ed out).

Hope that helps and keep up the GREAT work.

[1] http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/projects/adawat/minibidi
[2] http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/tools/shape_bidi/shape_arabic.pl
[3] http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/tools/shape_bidi/shape_arabic.c