Re: Arabeyes dead?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:43:45 +0100, Arafat Medini <arafato at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Salam,
>
> Well I don't know if I am speaking of two different things ;) it's
> still morning and I have some head turning work before me ;) But I am
> sure no one would be against a monthly digest.

The purpose of a monthly digest is to summarize all activities and put
them in one easily accessible place. core-specific (notice I say
core-specific, as core member also do non-core stuff sometimes) are
already in one place:

http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/ae_admin/weekly_minutes

> So I want also core to write down their activities in a non scattared
> manner so that every average member/reader of Arabeyes can understand
> what's happening on here. I think that's the least one can ask for.
> You are the directors, and for me it is very stressing to not know
> what's happening on here. You have to take care of your members.

The meeting minutes are anything but scattered, but of course, it will
be impossible for you to know what is happening on here, if you are
only subscribed to two or three mailing lists. When something happens
on the developer mailing list, you probably wont see that on general
or doc, because well, it belongs on developer. Why do we have 10
mailing lists if we can just put everything on one list? There is a
reason for that :-)

I strongly, strongly, strongly, STRONGLY urge you to subscribe at
least to the CVS mailing list, in digest form so you will only recieve
one mail per day. Thats why its there. Believe me once you get 2 or 3
issues from it you will feel much better :-)

> Nadim you know that many quitted cause of having the feeling that the
> project is close and not open, well I don't agree with them anyway...
> But I think ONE and only one MONTHLY digest would not be a bad idea to
> make ppl happy. take a look at gnome journal, gnomedesktop,
> planet.gnome, gnome.org etc... etc...

I dont know if the project was considered closed in the past, but I
dont know what could be more open than this. The core mailing list is
open, the meeting minutes are open, and even the meetings themselves
are public, and everyone is actually invited to join in the meetings,
and even participate as long as it is not disruptive. When was the
last time you were given a chance to particpate in Gnome management
meetings?

My sources of information here on Arabeyes are the same as yours. You
can know as much as anyone else knows, but you have to do your share
of the work too. Don't expect the "wa7i" to descend on you with that
information :-)

The monthly digest is not a bad idea, but we have enough to do as it
is. Those gnome people probably have secretaries cranking out those
digests for them. If we do make a monthly digest it will probably be
extremely concise, and contains very little information and lots of
links, pointing to message posts and places on the meeting minutes.
Would that be ok?

Abdulaziz,