Re: A consistent approach (rendering engine)

Salaam Nadim,

> Unicode is unwilling to add new characters, are they
> willing to
> remove old ones ?

It's not that Unicode is unwiling to add new
characters, but they are unwilling to add any proposed
character. You have to make a very good case and
respond to all the counter-arguments that the critics
of the Unicode community will bring to you because
they will be very conservative in terms of what gets
added or changed.

You raise a valid point: How can we bring OpenType
support to the Linux front? I am not familiar with
font support in Linux but I can speak for the Windows
platform. In Windows, the Uniscribe processor,
usp10.dll, which is in the \windows\system32 directory
handles complex script processing. Any application and
font needing complex script shaping in Windows can
make use of it. I can use the most advanced OpenType
font that Microsoft has, Arabic Typesetting (comes
with Office Proofing Tools 2003 and actually renders
some Quran verses correctly too) in a simple program
like Notepad. So it's an add it once and for all
approach. I don't know if this is possible for Linux
environments, but Linux has surpassed Windows in many
things, and why can it not in Arabic support as well.

This is what I have saw after a few searches on google
and found out that Indians have already succeeded in
adding OpenType support to Linux:

http://www.ncst.ernet.in/projects/indix/technical_details.shtml#OpenType

If the Indians did it, why can't it be done for
Arabic? You might want to contact them to get their
help or do it together. If adequate OpenType support
can be added to Linux.

Kind regards,
Mete