Re: Quranic Proposal

--- Mete Kural <metekural at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> I wish that Mohammed could have adopted a softer
> attitude in taking on this discussion. The "group
> intimidation" method will not serve any good purpose
> in this kind of technical discussions. I would suggest
> Mohammed to take on a different attitude if he is to
> ever present this proposal to the Unicode Consortium.

I think we need to stick to the issues at hand.  I don't agree
with some of what was said on this seemingly silly matter and
it should have been handled differently, but the frustration
level in repeating oneself is rather apparent - let's stick to
the facts.

I will try to reply to the mails I've seen, but its become apparent
to me (and I am NO expert on this - far from it) that we're talking
2 completely different languages here.  I think Thomas is working on
a completely revolutionary system that will most likely solve various
problems (including those mentioned), but it is "rendering engine"
specific (note "revolutionary" meaning change).  Whereas what the
proposal on the table is asking for is the inclusion of a handful
of characters that would solve all our current issues without really
introducing any new functionality (I'd guess the later is a much
easier change/inclusion with faster results all within the current
framework).

One can look at this as potentially a 2-pronged solution,

 a. short term - get unicode to provide those missing characters
 b. long  term - get unicode to look into and adopt changes/enhancements
                 to the rendering engine(s).

I'm sure we can work in both realms, but I think each camp is talking
and starting to repeat their views in their context which leads to
frustration and disappointment when it shouldn't.

Can we agree at a minimum that we are indeed talking about 2 different
things and their time-line (which interests me the most) is rather
different (at least from a conceptual point of view) ?  If we can do that
then we can move ahead and work on both issues in order to provide a
short-term solution (aka now) and work on a more elegant ("perfected")
means to do all of this.  A "quickie" solution and a "correct" solution
if you will (without passing judgment - ie. no good/bad/etc).

Hope that helps.