Re: Registering as a Non-Profit

- We don't mind being flooded with initial paperwork, but we don't
  want to have to continually submit paperwork on a periodic basis.
  We want to set it up, do it right and forget about it.

In France and Germany it is very easy...

In France you can register as an association "Loi 1901" which is really simple and usually don't even need lawyers. You have then the status of an non-profit association, can have a bank account, receive donation, and I think you have to give a simplified accounting. It's the law under where are all the "Hobby associations". I'm not currently living in France, but if you need some more information I can try to find.

Regards
Armelle Nedelec

- It would be nice to get some tax breaks for those looking to
  donate in the registered country (if possible), but this is
  _not_ a requirement.

:-)

- We would like to attain some legal certificate so that we could
  actually open a bank account with that document with Arabeyes
  as the holder.  We'd also would like to show this certificate
  to people to note to them that we are indeed a "legal" entity.

Right...

A number of people as well as companies have noted in the past that
their rules of engagement dictate that they only engage with legal
entities (this is what we've heard repeatedly so don't ping us on
what this means since we don't have a clear physical central location
and most certainly don't look like many organizations out there).

So it wil time to get one...

It would have been ideal if we could register Arabeyes in an Arabic
country, but even the more progressive of them (like the UAE) seem
to put some crippling hurdles (the concept of a not-for-profit seems
to generate some chuckles as well).  As such our next choices are

:-/

the European Union and Canada (any comments/help from there ?).

:-)

I've personally looked into what it would take to setup such a thing
in the US and the amount of quarterly paperwork is beyond anything
I'd want to be tagged with (its a major repeated headache with audits
and countless quarterly document submittals - I'd rather Arabize code
than swim in paperwork).

I would prefer Europe...

Any comments/thoughts/directions ?  If you happen to have a lawyer
friend that is willing to look into all of this pro bono (ie. free)
do please let him/her know about our situation.  We don't have any
offices, but our history and track-record speak for themselves in
terms of commitment and longevity.

I have an algerien Advocat. Her name is Nora Bukara and is in Strasbourg.

Should I ask her ?

Before anything is done, do please let us know in advance - agreement
must be reached before any process is initiated.  We are not looking
for any surprises or heroic actions and don't want nor expect anyone
to simply come back and tell us that they registered us in Tahiti :-)

:-)

Greetings
Michelle