Re: Arabization requirements

--- gar <gar at arabink dot com> wrote:
> There are other areas where interested developers could no doubt
> use some help in defining Arabization requirements:
>
> 1. cursor behavior in editors
> 2. sorting
> 3. searching
> 4. managing diacritics
> 5. typesetting (e.g. don't break a line immediately after
>    a copulative waw, how to best justify a line, etc.)
> 6. keyboard support
> etc.
>
> What I propose is that Arabeyes set up a wiki devoted solely to
> discussing and defining requirements.  Possibly to include test cases
> where appropriate.  The goal being that this would be a standard
> resource for anybody developing Arabic-enabled software, regardless of
> platform.

I could NOT agree more.  As noted the wiki page is there for anyone
and everyone to upkeep and add info to and start pages on (so help
yourself).  Something very similar to what you note (or a subset at
least) is what Arafat has noted as the 'AIG' document.  Its meant
to be a "what should I know in order to program for Arabic" type of
a document (from a GUI and user-interface point of view).  What you
note above is alot more general and alot more thorough and we should
_absolutely_ go down this path.

Specifically with regard to point-1 (its best to always number lists
for reference :-) Ahmad.Khalifa and I talked briefly about this topic
as did I with Shachar (of Wine fame) during our Evolution party [1]
(search for "edit control I mean").  We all kinda decided that we need
to write a spec about this topic to document what needs to be done
since a number of implementations are already out there and none of
them behave in the same manner.  In short, its something we really
need to get busy on (when, I don't know).

In short, do please start this wiki page and do please keep us honest
by reminding us and by stepping-in and leading where you can.  Once
Mr. Khalifa (post 3 other tasks :-) and I get some breathing room I
really think we should tackle this or parts there-of ASAP.

Anyone have ideas/comments or is looking to rush-in to help ?