Re: Arabization requirements

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 00:19:14 -0800 (PST), Nadim Shaikli
<shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> --- gar <gar at arabink dot com> wrote:
> > There are other areas where interested developers could no doubt
> > use some help in defining Arabization requirements:
> >
> > 1. cursor behavior in editors
> > 2. sorting
> > 3. searching
> > 4. managing diacritics
> > 5. typesetting (e.g. don't break a line immediately after
> >    a copulative waw, how to best justify a line, etc.)
> > 6. keyboard support
> > etc.

I believe point 3 in particular is going to need an unconventional
approach to searching. Well all know how inconvenient (sometimes
downright impossible) it is for us to take into account diactrics when
searching in Arabic.

A proper search in Arabic should ignore these completely. From what I
know this is not difficult to implement, and I think Google already
uses a mechanism to ignore certain characters such as hyphens in an
English search. We have to compile a list of what characters should be
ignored (or a list of characters which should not be ignored,
whichever is easier) and include this list along with any other
necessary details in any comprehensive document discussing Arabization
requirements, should such a document materialize in the future.

Abdulaziz,