Re: What are the needed Arabized applications?

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 20:16, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> Just for clarification.
>
> --- Anmar Oueja <anmar at canada dot com> wrote:
> > Here is my list of needed Arabized applications:
> >
> > The rating I'm using,
> >   5 - Must have
> >   4 - Critical (very much in need of this)
> >   3 - Important to have (need this)
> >   2 - Nice to include
> >   1 - Of Interest
> >
> > Name            : gnome-terminal
> > Version         : 2.2.2
> > Category        : terminal emulator
> > Importance      : A Must (4/5)
> > Status          : Proper Bidi and shaping.
>
> Does gnome-terminal do bidi and shaping ?  I thought it didn't.

Gnome Terminal supports UTF-8 but does not seem to support Arabic
although it is compiled against Pango. Will send an email to Havoc to
see if he knows if it is a simple change to make it use Arabic.

> > Name            : ncurses
> > Version         : 5.3
> > Category        : Text Based GUI. Important for Installers
> > Importance      : A Must (4/5)
> > Status          : Proper Bidi and shaping.
>
> Same here - that version renders Arabic properly ?i
I have tried with no success. Have you had any luck with it ?

> > Name            : Evolution
> > Version         : 1.4
> > Category        : terminal emulator
> > Importance      : A Must (4/5)
> > Status          : Proper translation
>
> OK, this would fall under Arabeyes' Gnome translation project, right ?
> Or is it a seperate .po files ?

To be honest, I am not sure. Evolution is part of Ximian Desktop but I
do not know if it is part of GNOME. Arafat, can you shed some light on
this please.

> > Name            : xfce4
> > Version         : 4
> > Category        : Light Weight Window Environment (GTK2 Based)
> > Importance      : A Must (2/5)
> > Status          : Proper Translation.
>
> Does it have Arabic support ?  If not, is it being pushed for or looked
> into ?  Bare in mind that we are only interested in Arabic-centric
> applications and things that relate to it.

Yes it does have arabic support sinc it is based on GTK2. The reason i
put this in bacause it is very small to localise and offers a light and
simple Windowing Environment with out the clutter of KDE and GNOME. I
think it provides a solid alternative to GNOME and KDE.

Name            : Gaim
Version         : 0.6x
Category        : Instant Messenger that supports MSN, ICQ, AIM.etc.
Importance      : 5
Status          : Adding a button to switch to RTL and GUI translation

Name		: Gnome Clock (Tray Applet)
Bersion		: 2.2.2
Catergory	: Gnome Panel Tray Clock
Importance	: 4
Status		: Should support Hijri and Arabic months names.

Name		: Glade
Version		: 2 (Both GTK and GNOME branches)
Catergory	: GTK/GNOME Gui Developement
Importance	: 3
Status		: Need some proper translation (No part of GNOME2 project i
believe)

Name		: Anjuta
Version		: 1.19
Category	: Developemt Environment
Importance	: 4
Status		: Should support Proper Arabic but require translation (not part
of GNOME2)

Name		: GIMP
Version		: 1.3.x
Catergory	: Image Editing Software
Status		: Need Proper Translation

Name		: Sodipodi
Category	: Vector Graphics Editor (SVG Editor)
Importance	: 4
Status		: Does not support Arabic Shaping nor bidi. Needs proper
translation.

That is all i can think of today. This is a bit silly. Can we make a
small script or a wiki were we can add this stuff ?

Anmar
> Anmar, much thanks for your reply and time.  How about the others ?
> What do others want to see included in distros ?
>
> Come on people !!

I though of a few more. I will keep adding them as i use and discover
more. BTW, does this list include Documentation. For example a document
on how to use DocBook to do Arabic Documentation would be a good thing.
Please elaborate.